Friday, May 26, 2017

Library Myths Debunked

Photo Credit: Pixabay
So Larkynn, what can you tell us about your profession?

1. No, I do not get paid to sit around and read books all day (sadly).

I actually don't have time to read books for fun while on the clock. There are far too many other tasks I have to get done in the day! I guess there could be places where this is something a librarian could do--but so far, I have yet to find one! I do read several books on my own free time to supplement my knowledge of my library collection and strengthen my readers' advisory skills.  It's a lot easier to suggest a book or help someone find a book they might like if I am familiar with books they have already read and enjoyed.

Also, I do enjoy reading for fun. Let's be honest for a moment here, what kind of librarian/aspiring author would I be if I didn't  like reading?!?

2. Yes, I do get paid to do my job...

So the stories I have about this particular myth could fill a novel--I think it's just one of those things that comes with working with the public. I try my best to take this common question in stride. I don't think most people mean for this to come across as offensive, and they really do make for great party stories and ice breakers. I do have to tell you that this myth is at least founded in logic. In some areas, libraries are run by volunteers.  Mine, however, is not.

3. I did not major in Library Science.

So this is something important to touch on. There are different levels of librarianship. I am a level I. My job simply requires a bachelor's degree in any subject area and post-degree, college level courses that pertain specifically to my position. However, if I wanted to be a Librarian II or part of the management team, I would need to have a Masters in Library and Information Science. The requirements for library positions vary state by state and system by system. If you're interested in working in a library, my best advice is this: do your research. In this field of work, academic and public libraries alike, you'll be doing lots of research!

4. Technology is not making libraries obsolete.

As a matter of fact, the more technology changes, the more people in my community rely on me and my coworkers to help them figure out the nuances of each update and new device. Libraries are not static places of just paper and ink. They are fluid information hubs and community centers; wells of knowledge that transcend pages and screens.

I could go on and on about how important libraries are and how my job is so much more than books. But I don't want to bore you. Just know that libraries are built for the communities they serve and that libraries are just as much about the people as they are the pages. If you haven't been to your local library in a while, you should stop in and visit. You might just be surprised by the different services, materials, and programs they provide! (And if I'm preaching to the choir here, just tell me to move on to the next blog already!)

--Larkynn

No comments:

Post a Comment

Pete the Kracken and the Angry Storm Cloud

  Hello, Readers! Happy Black Friday if you're partaking in the chaos that is "the biggest gift shopping day of the year". I h...

Popular Posts