Friday, March 27, 2020

Celebrating National Craft Month 2020


Okay, show of hands, how many of you are under a state mandated quarantine? 
Image from Pixabay: Kaz.

I hope you're all doing well. It's not easy being cooped up and feeling locked away from our support systems. Remember, you can always reach out to friends and family virutaly. Also, there are no rules about actually leaving the house. You're just not supposed to congregate and be within six feet of people you aren't already around on a daily basis inside your home. 
This means you're free to go for walks outside. Don't add to the feeling of cabin fever by being afraid of going outside!
Another way to help boost your mental health is to learn something knew. As March is National Craft Month, a new crafting hobby might be just your thing! I recently took up crochet --Okay, a coworker went on vacation and didn't tell me what her program was, nor that I was filling in for her, and I learned on the fly how to crochet a basic chain--and I've been hooked (pun intended) ever since.
There are some really neat projects you can make with crochet! Personally, I'm most interested in the cute little creatures referred to as Amigurumi. But I was super intimidated by the books I checked out from my library (patterns are super weird looking) and decided to just watch simple YouTube videos to teach me the basics.
With some yarn provided by one of the library patrons that taught me how to crochet, I've started a blanket for my daughter. It's a little crooked, and I missed a few stitches here and there, but I think she'll love it once it's finished. 


But if you're interested, here are a few of the other tutorials I've been watching and a couple of the projects I'm looking forward to starting!

B.Hooked Crochet & Knitting [Username]. (2018, April 5). How to Crochet in the Round: Starting Methods: Magic Ring, Chain Method. [Video File]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Z7M133vWziI
Special Features:
YouTube provides closed captioning and the ability to slow down the playback speed (which makes it much easier to watch and attempt at the same time and requires less pausing and replaying). I also like that I can make the video full screen if I want to (which helps with the small details of crocheting). The video creator also lists several links in the video description that lead to a left-hand tutorial (which is very important with crochet! If you’re watching the wrong handed tutorial you will be lost. Trust me.), a full video guide on “crocheting in the round”, the creator’s blog and knitting channel.
Audience Recommendations:
This tutorial was created for beginning crocheters, and as a beginner, I feel that this is an adequate description. Crochet requires some honed fine motor skills and patience. I would recommend ages 8+ if they’re intended to use the tutorial to begin crocheting. However, I’m sure there are some younger kiddos that have what it takes! The video itself doesn’t have anything vulgar or inappropriate.
Comparison:
Crochet Guru [Username]. (2012, December 6). Crochet Magic Circle- Stitch Guide. [Video File]. Retrieved from https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gEq48ABHRZo&list=PLFNuxc-rxC7RMPLcjl_NGLXzq_cmRPuFR&index=3
I actually watched this video first and fumbled and fumbled. Eventually I ended up finding the video I used as the focus item for this because I really wanted to know how to make a magic ring and I simply couldn’t figure it out with this video. That’s not to say that this video is absolutely terrible. I really like the way this creator takes the time to explain what a magic ring is and why it’s used. She also has a section at the end that details tips for using the magic circle. She also shows you what the written Magic Circle Pattern looks like, which is important when you’re learning from a book or simply reading through a shared pattern.
Top Five Current Favorites:
1. Crochet Amigurumi Jellyfish (Quick & Easy!) Ideal for Beginners –okay so with this one, I haven’t watched it all the way through. I stopped when I realized that I didn’t know how to do the Magic Circle, but this is definitely a project I want to work on and learn how to make!

2. Crochet Amigurumi Jellyfish Keychain (SUPER FAST) Quick easy Crochet Project—I also haven’t watched this one all the way through either, but it’s a shorter (and of course smaller end product) or the first tutorial. I thought this one might be more digestible with a little one in the house.

3. How to crochet- Magic Ring (or Magic Circle) –this is another great tutorial for how to do create a Magic Ring. It’s only three minutes long and the creator does a great job of making her hand motions easy to follow and using key crochet terms so that viewers learn both the terms and the motions by watching this simple and short video!

4. How to Crochet -Easy beginners Amigurumi Whale Tutorial –This is another tutorial I would like to try!

5. 5 Tips For Improving Your Amigurumi –These are great tips, and I might look up this YouTube creator later for other projects.

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

What crafty things have you been up to? 

Also, a special thank you to all of you still working to keep our community healthy, safe, and fed!


2 comments:

  1. My mother crocheted me a blanket when I was little, then she added to it as I grew. I'm sure you're little one will love it! Particularly since I found my blanket to be the warmest of all my blankets.

    I learned crocheting when I was young and I did it with my fingers only. It wasn't until later that I learned I could use the crochet hooks. I used to make single strands to use when playing with cats. It's been a long time since I've done anything more with it. Those Amigurumi look so cute though!

    For crafting month, I crafted 31 books (a book for each day). I was going to make the attempt again for April, but I may have overextended myself. Still, I succeeded!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great blog! This is perfect! I definitely feel like a lot of people don't quite know what to do with themselves.

    ReplyDelete

Pete the Kracken and the Angry Storm Cloud

  Hello, Readers! Happy Black Friday if you're partaking in the chaos that is "the biggest gift shopping day of the year". I h...

Popular Posts